10 Things You Need to Know About the 203k Renovation Loan
If you're planning on renovating your home, you might be considering the 203k renovation loan. This government-backed loan program allows you to finance your home renovation and repairs with a single loan, and it can be a great option for homeowners who want to upgrade their homes without breaking the bank. But before you jump in, here are 10 things you need to know about the 203k renovation loan.
- There are two types of 203k loans: the standard 203k and the streamline 203k. The standard 203k loan is for more complex projects that require major structural changes or repairs, while the streamline 203k loan is for smaller projects with a maximum budget of $35,000.
- You can use the 203k renovation loan to finance a variety of home improvements, including kitchen and bathroom remodels, roof and HVAC repairs, and energy-efficient upgrades.
- To qualify for a 203k renovation loan, you must meet the standard FHA loan requirements, including a credit score of at least 580 and a down payment of 3.5% of the home's purchase price.
- Your lender will require an appraisal of the property's current value and its expected value after renovations are complete. The loan amount will be based on the projected value of the property after the improvements are made.
- You'll need to work with a contractor who is familiar with the 203k renovation loan program. Your contractor will need to provide detailed plans and specifications for the renovation work and will be responsible for completing the work on time and within budget.
- You'll have up to six months to complete the renovation work after the loan closes, and your lender will release funds in stages as the work is completed.
- You'll be required to make mortgage payments on the full loan amount, including the cost of the renovation work, even if the work is not yet complete. This is known as a "mortgage with a holdback" and is designed to protect the lender's investment.
- The 203k renovation loan can be used to refinance an existing mortgage, which can help you take advantage of lower interest rates or free up cash for other expenses.
- You can use the 203k renovation loan to purchase a property that needs repairs or upgrades. This can be a great way to buy a home in a desirable location that might otherwise be out of reach.
- The 203k renovation loan can be a complex and time-consuming process, so it's important to work with a lender and contractor who are experienced in the program. With the right team in place, the 203k renovation loan can be a great way to finance your dream home renovations.
In conclusion, the 203k renovation loan can be a great option for homeowners who want to finance their home renovations and repairs. By understanding the details of this loan program and working with experienced professionals, you can make the most of this opportunity to upgrade your home and improve its value.
To get started check out our website at www.makeover-homes.com or call 463.252.0028